ACA Canyon Leader / Guide Course
Canyon Leader/Guide Course...
Not solely for professional guides; leadership skills are essential for clubs and youth program volunteers, and are extremely useful for anyone who descends canyons with less experienced partners.
The Canyon Leader/Guide Course combines technical and experiential learning. The course represents the industry standard of training both for aspiring guides and for practitioners of adventure-based and experiential education. Participants will have opportunities to enhance and hone skills, experience personal growth and develop leadership abilities.
Prerequisites: This course is intended for active experienced canyoneers who already possess a good foundation of anchor, rigging and on-rope skills.
Technical skills covered
• Problem-solving and decision-making methodologies, group dynamics and facilitation, situational adaptation of leadership styles
• The importance of both objective (technical) and subjective (human) leadership skills
• Hazard identification, risk assessment and management, avoiding heuristic traps in decision-making
• Site management and transition safety systems (moving and stationary sites, low-risk and high-risk), appropriate leader positions for optimal group management
• Advanced sequencing strategies, bump-and-go vs leap-froging
• Contextual selection of appropriate belay systems - top rope, bottom, self-belay, twin rope self-belay, running belay, 2:1 belay
• Static and dynamic courtesy rigging for difficult rappel starts
• Pre-rigging and stacked rappels, single rope and twin rope tandem rappels
• Twin rope, yo-yo, 2:1, and other specialized rigging systems and techniques for efficiently moving a group through challenging terrain
Typical Cost -$380
Duration: 4 Days
Please check our calendar of events for a current list of scheduled training sessions.
Training can also be customized and scheduled based on your availability. Feel free to contact us any time to inquire about your desired topic and we can discuss available dates and participant minimums.